LEOMINSTER popularly LEMSTER, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and
a district in Herefordshire. The town stands in a fertile valley, on
the river Lug, at the influx of two of its tributaries, and at the
commencement of the Leominster canal, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and
Hereford railway, at the junction of the Leominster and Kington railway,
13 miles N of Hereford. ...
The monastery was afterwards rebuilt as a college or priory; became a
cell to Shaston and Reading abbeys; was notable for the preaching of the
crusade in it, in 1187, by Baldwin and Giraldus;....
The town hall was built in 1856, at a cost of £3,000; is in the Italian
style, 156 feet long and 48 feet wide; has, over the centre, a lofty
cupola and clock-turret; and contains a council-chamber, 45 feet long
and 30 feet wide....
The butter-cross stood on the site of the new market-house; was built in
1633, by John Abel, "the king's carpenter;" was a curious and
beautiful example of Tudor timber-work, with 12 carved oak pillars,
arches, shields, and varions carved devices; was taken down in 1855, to
give effect to the town hall, and to afford space for the new
market-house; and has been re-erected on a large open space, called the
The churchyard contains some interesting ancient monuments, and one to
Mrs. Siddons and Mr. Kemble. ...
There are chapels for Baptists,
Quakers, Moravians, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Plymouth Brethren,
and Unitarians. ...
Marriages in 1863, 90; births, 442, of which 37 were illegitimate;
deaths, 309, of which 89 were at ages under 5 years, ....
The schools were 18 public day schools, with
1,171 scholars; 20 private day schools, with 384 s.; and 18 Sunday
schools, with 1,043 s.