- Title slide.
- Families watch striking miners return to work. Strikes are a good example of the need to cooperate outside of a contractual framework.
- Worshippers at a church in Virginia. Religion and rituals have been explained as costly signals of commitment to a particular group.
- Simeon Stylites, who spent 37 years on top of a pillar. Costly signalling can be very costly.
- Still from There Will Be Blood. But if it's not costly enough, it fails to deter selfish people from entering the community. (You'll know what I mean if you've seen the film.)
- Examples of anonymous rituals: marching and uniforms.
- Examples of anonymous rituals: music. Gertrude Bell has a fabulous quote on this which is in the powerpoint notes.
- More examples: church donations, Secret Santa, anonymous voting.
- ... and applause. (Spot the Stalin connection.)
Saturday, 13 June 2009
I put up the presentation that I gave at the M-BEES conference on my website. The first slides are a bit cryptic. In order:
at 8:04 am