Sunday 27 January 2013

Shergar King

Horsemeat, then. The Guardian has a "why not" piece:
is it time to examine our prejudice against what is, after all, an extremely healthy meat?
Eating horses used to be one of the unspeakable things that the French did, so the prejudice was not only irrational but also xenophobic. In Verona once my friends tried donkey pizza.

But then, why stop at horses? Why not dogs? ... or grandma's corpse?

Even though if I were born elsewhere, I might eat horsemeat or many other things besides, I keep to the old local prejudices, fearing that without them I may get worse, not better.
 

2 comments:

  1. Priya4:35 pm

    Interesting. But we were told that it was "acceptable" to eat herbivorous animals, not carnivorous ones. A more complicated theory I once heard in New Delhi years ago involved the domestication of certain animals, which would then evoke incest taboos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... you were meta-vegetarians!

    ReplyDelete